Friday, August 5, 2011

Dr's Visit

We took Aubree in yesterday for her Dr's Visit and her bone marrow biopsy. There were a few really important things that happened. First, we found out that in her blood work last week they saw some blasts. They weren't Leukemia, but they werent supposed to be there and that is what triggered the events of taking her off her steroids and the bone marrow biopsy yesterday. I have always wondered if doing the bone marrow transplant was the right thing to do because it has been so rough on everyone involved. But with everything that has been happening it confirmed in my mind that yes it was right, that she would have relapsed if we didnt and she would have relapsed soon after the chemo was stopped. So we will see what the tests show from yesterday to see where we go from here. There are several things that could happen, but we will deal with them as they come.
The second big thing yesterday was that Aubree gained two pounds in a week! That means that she is eating way more calories than I have been thinking. So after talking to the Doctors we decided to pull her NG tube out and see how she does. She has never been allowed to truly be hungry and have that relationship with food that we all have. (She has it with her little red backpack that houses her feeding pump!) When she woke up yesterday from her Anastasia, she was so mad because she was really hungry. I showed her a bag of Doritos, her favorite and she stopped crying and started eating them. She was hungry! This morning she woke up at 6 am hungry and drank two ounces of milk. She has never drank that much at one time before. So I really think it will work. As the days go on she will be able to drink just a little more and eat a little more and she will be ok without her tube! I cant believe that its coming more to a close! I thought this day would never come! It has been such a long road with her eating. Now if only we can get her to have normal blood tests and get her central line out. That will be the day!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for getting hungry and eating real food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, I have been thinking about you so much and wondering how things were going. I'm so glad you posted. I am so sorry about the blasts, there is so much reality to cancer. I really hope that stopping the steroids helps. I know that this BMT has been so difficult on your family, you are such an inspiration to us all.

    I am very happy that Aubree is eating. It is just one more step to being normalish again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh SSSSSSSIIIIIIGGGGGHHH ! Biggest sigh over here. We are SO relieved that the blasts were not leukemia!!! So glad that Aubree's eating. Way to go mamma!

    ReplyDelete