Friday, December 31, 2010

Fevers, Fevers, Fevers!

Aubree is not doing better, in fact she is doing worse. After chemo she has no immune system so anything can attack her, even the bactiria on her own skin. Last night Aubree came down with a fever. I think it ranks up there with one of the most nerve racking nights yet. Her temperature slowly crept up, and I knew that it was not going to go down. But the nurses couldnt do anything until it was offically a fever. I sat there with her, just holding her, she didnt feel good enough to really fall alseep on her own, and she cried all night in her sleep anyway. It took about 3 to 4 hours for her fever to creep up and all I could do was hold her and know what was coming. It was the worst feeling, I was completely helpless. There was nothing that I could do. I was scared for her, she wouldnt eat, not that she has been eating all that well before, but at least we could get her to eat a little, but now she wont eat at all. All she does is sleep. Gone are the smile and the laughs, if she is awake all she does is cry or lay there, she does still look out the window but she wont even hold up her own head. She has started antibiotics and that should help her to fight off whatever it is that she has, and hopefully she will feel better in a day or two.

5 comments:

  1. So Sorry to read this. I really hope things get better. Tell me if I can spell you at all or get you anything!!

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fevers are the worst. Sometimes it is so hard to pinpoint what is going on. I'm sure they've drawn cultures. Please let us know if they find any bacteria in her line or elsewhere. It is so hard.

    Erin had SO MANY fevers during rounds 2-4. Sometimes they lasted 2 weeks. We spent those days and nights in a rocking chair. She would only sleep in our arms. We did CT scans and other things to figure out where the fevers were coming from. Sometimes we just didn't even have answers.

    I hope that they stop soon and that nothing bad comes from the fevers. I am glad she is on antibiotics. You are the best nurse for her. You are good to keep a close eye on her and watch for every little change. I was often the one to notify the nurse that Erin had a fever. Good luck! We are praying for little Aubree and for the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! I hope that you are able to get some good sleep. Sounds like some hard moments that could be overwhelming really fast. Lots of love from the Shadel Family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn, I am so glad that you are doing this blog. I don't get to talk to you much and this is a great way to know what is going on with you. We love you and pray for you guys all the time. Let me know if you need anything. I can get online and chat with you any time (except working hours ha!) But, I can text 24/7! :) Love you much. Hang in there. Make sure you are reading your scriptures and saying your prayers and you will get that patience back that you had at the beginning, but you can be patient AND persistent with people :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fevers are no fun! I remember feeling helpless too when Rachel got fevers--unfortunately, she's too big for me to hold her and rock her...but I still was frantic to find something that would help! Hope the antibiotics kick in and that she is feeling better soon. You aren an amazing mom. Aubree is so lucky to have you there to comfort her. We will continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete