Tuesday, February 8, 2011
The night before last Aubree came down with a fever. It was quick and wicked. About 9:30 pm I noticed she felt warm, but it wasnt a "real" fever, but it still worried me. By 10:15 she had a fever and blood cultures were drawn. It is standard to draw blood cultures with fevers with children like Aubree. She got worse as the night went by. At 7 AM our room was a zoo, she had so many medical personal in there. They decided to call the rapid response team from the picu (pedeatric icu) to come and evaluate her to see if she needed to be transfered. We also had the oncology docs there checking things out and about 4 nursed doing different things and answering questions that came up. Her condition was, she had wide spread blood pressures, like 120/30. She also had a pulse of 225, normal for her is 130. Also they could not get her fever to come down and she sat in my lap wimpering and shivering. I felt so bad for her, but they were able to give her fluids, but they gave her a lot of fluids, it was something like 60 ounces in like an hour, it was some crazy amount, they gave her more fluids than they usually allow on the ICS floor, but that is what she needed. They were able to keep her stable up on the ICS floor, but all day it was talk about how she was on the line and if she got worse she would be sent to PICU. Today we are still on the ICS floor and I am so gratefull that we are. She still has fevers but a second blood culture that was drawn 12 hours after the first showed that there was no more bacteria in her blood. They got on it way fast and were able to help her little body fight it off. Now its just time till she gets better. She is on the up and up.